8 September 2017
Last Thursday and Friday, Glennie athletes travelled to Warwick for the annual Darling Downs Athletics Trials. Keeping with recent success at TSSS Athletics, the girls performed very well. The majority of girls qualified to represent the Darling Downs at the State Championships to be held early next term. There were a number of great performances across the two days including:
- Anthea Moodie broke the Senior High Jump record. This record had stood for 31 years! The old record was set on the same date that Anthea's coach Rod Franke set the Senior Boys record. The record books now show that the master and the apprentice hold records at the same time!
- Taleah McGrane won all four events she entered - a fantastic effort.
- Chenille Nona-Yellub had never used blocks before this year and was running in joggers, but this didn't stop her from running the fourth fastest time in the 13 Years 100m. An outstanding effort.
- A number of girls qualified for multiple awards including Anthea (5), Taleah (4), Emily Baartz (4), Charlotte Lindemann (4).
- Shona Davidson ran personal best times in both the 100m and 200m. A great achievement on grass.
Thanks to Tanya Draheim, Lisa Cooper and Stacie Broom for their assistance across the two days. Thanks also to the large number of parents who attended and to our amazing coaches, Rod Franke and Tim Davies. Good luck to all girls who qualified for State Championships and to those of you representing Glennie at the Schools Knockout this weekend in Brisbane.
Contributed by Mr Brad Griffiths