From The Deputy Principal 23 April 2021
Middle and Senior Year Academic Support
Welcome back to Term 2! This term is a significant term from an academic perspective:
- Years 7 to 9 are midway through Semester 1 coursework
- Year 10 have begun their first QCE course of study – QCAA English, and
- Years 11 and 12 are at the mid-way point of their studies, beginning Units 2 and 4 this week
I would like to take this opportunity to remind parents and girls of the extensive academic support opportunities available to students in the Middle and Senior Years:
- Students are supported to develop effective study skills and habits in fortnightly study skills lessons, using the resources from Mighty Minds and the ELES Study Skills Handbook
- Students can consolidate subject-specific skills and concepts, complete interactive revision, and access video lessons of concepts via digital platforms that the school subscribes to, such as Education Perfect, Atomi, and Stile (Science)
- Students can attend the Learning Hub, which is a learner-centred space for active and cooperative learning as well as homework and subject help. The Learning Hub operates before, during and after school and is facilitated by specialist teachers. Opening hours and the timetable for Term 2 are available on the Study and Support page of the AcademicLife@Glennie Google site on the Portal.
- Boarders can access academic support during Prep time from specialist teachers and tutors.
In terms of external academic support, families can purchase for their daughter/s:
- Access to Studiosity, an online tutoring service that offers 24/7 on-demand study help for English, Mathematics, Science and Business subjects.
- Access to TuteSmart, another online tutoring support service that provides live tutorial classes, on-demand tutoring and online private tutoring in QCE subjects.
- Access to individual academic mentoring through organisations such as Creating Students
As always, if students have an academic concern, they should see their teacher in the first instance or the relevant Head of Department.
Information about all of these support opportunities is available in the ‘Study and Support’ section of the Academic Life @ Glennie Google site on the Portal.
Ms Tonia Gloudemans
Deputy Principal - Head of Curriculum