Start typing to begin your search

Loading results...

{{r.Name}}

{{r.Description}}

Read more

We're sorry, there are no items matching that search

eNews Archive.

– Be Connected. –

From the Archives 26 February 2021

In anticipation of the official welcome and commissioning of our Principal Ms Mary Anne Evans, it is good to remember our founding Principals with gratitude for their foresight and vision in establishing not only the physical amenities of the School, but also our values, faith and traditions.

Miss Margaret Lawrance co-Principal 1908-1914

Miss Grace Lawrance Principal 1914-1925

The Misses Margaret and Grace Lawrance were founding Principals and joint Heads of Glennie School Church of England Grammar School for Girls.

Miss Margaret Lawrance left Glennie in 1913, while her sister stayed on as Head of School until 1925.

Miss Grace Lawrance was born in London in 1873 and came to Australia by sailing ship in 1902. Before coming to Glennie, the sisters were working at New England Girls’ Grammar School in Armadale. The two sisters had the benefit of a well rounded education and family involvement in education.

It is said ”Miss Grace Lawrance was a personality, she possessed a remarkable power of organisation, and though not herself an academic type, for her education had been mainly by private governesses, and her real talent was for music, she had the power of recognising intellectual powers in others and attracting them to her staff.”**

She was severe in her attitudes and exhibited rigid standards of behaviour. This was important to the School and its development. The result was that Glennie became highly regarded throughout Queensland.

The School motto “Dieu Le Veult” (God wills it, God with us, God first) was determined at this time. In 1909, the main object of the School was defined as being: “to train each pupil individually not only to cultivate her particular tastes and talents… to the best advantage but also to make her realise the responsibility which life entails on all of us, and the importance of character in its influence in those around.”

The front gates have the initials GL entwined as a memorial to Grace Lawrance. The Lawrance Dining Hall was named after the two sisters.

**(Ref: Carew, Dorothea Petrie in Many years, many girls p.152)

Mrs Noeleen Fleming
Archives Officer

Click here to view the gallery.