During the 1850s, The Reverend Benjamin Glennie set about a deliberate program of land purchase in various centres which he saw as important to the future. Records show that Glennie’s collection of money from people and from the sale of vegetables and fruit grown in his own garden was paid into the “Schools’ Endowment Fund”, which after his death in 1900, become known as the “Glennie Memorial School Fund”.
In 1882, Archdeacon Glennie donated to the Anglican Diocese in Brisbane the sum of £1,627 to secure the foundation of a school or schools. As a result, in early 1898 with this money, 12½ acres was purchased in Herries Street, West. Therefore the “Schools Endowment Fund” which began so many years before, became the nucleus of funds which built The Glennie Memorial School.
The Directors have enthusiastically set a goal of establishing an endowment fund aimed at providing a return from investments that will fund all scholarships presently offered by The Glennie School
Through pledges, past donations and bequests, Glennie Old Girls, parents, families and friends, have financially assisted the Foundation to provide support to the School for the construction and re-development of the Junior Years campus, refurbishment of the boarding houses, provision of scholarships for performing arts and bursaries for families facing financial or rural hardships.