Founded in 1908, Glennie has operated on its present site on the west side of the City of Toowoomba since 1910.
‘Glennie’ so named, perpetuates the work of Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie, who first came to the Darling Downs in 1848 before the State of Queensland was established in 1859.
Benjamin Glennie (1812–1900) spent much of his life serving the spiritual needs of residents on the Darling Downs. He was also very concerned that educational facilities should be provided for the children of settlers.
Canon Glennie, as he then was, collected money where he could and sold vegetables he grew in his own garden. The money he acquired was given to the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane and used in 1898 to acquire the land on which the School now stands.
On 27 July 1908, Grace and Margaret Lawrance were invited to become the first co-principals when the Diocese of Brisbane acquired their school, St Alban’s College which had been established in the home of Mrs Cruise in Russell Street. Following Canon Glennie’s death, an endowment fund was established and became known as the Glennie Memorial School Fund. Under this title, the endowment fund attracted considerable public support and became the nucleus of the monies that built the ‘Glennie Memorial School’.
The original school building was dedicated on 10 August 1910 on its present site. It remains a fine example of the architecture of H J Marks whose designs can be found in a number of historic buildings in Toowoomba.
The Glennie Kindergarten and Glennie Prep (now Junior Years) were established at St Luke’s Church Hall in 1912.
Miss Margaret Lawrance later moved on to Newcastle Girls’ Grammar School, whilst Miss Grace Lawrance stayed to guide the School through its founding years, finally retiring from a well-established Glennie in 1924. She then moved to Sydney where she founded Queenwood School for Girls.
Today, Mrs Wendy Ashley-Cooper, appointed in 2001 and a past student of Queenwood, is the eleventh Head of School in 108 years.